From understanding your restaurant needs a face lift to actually entering a remodeling phase
1 . Your vision and mission are outdated: What was appealing to your target market only few years ago is not appealing anymore to the demographics and psycographics of your ideal target market
2. Your positioning in the market is a limit to changes: If you for example expanded your menu concept with additional items, then the original food concept could not be significant anymore
3. Your brand is not able to convey the desired message: If your message is confusing with a mismatch between products description and service delivery for example, an immediate rebranding is essential
4. Your restaurant concept is not standing out or has a bad reputation: Good concepts need also to be unique in their products and service delivery, if not need to be rethought.
Moreover, if consumers associate a visit to your establishment with a negative experience, it is clearly a time for drastic changes
5. Your restaurant offers a first impression of being outdated: Probably a simple remodeling or changes to the menu concept or launching of innovative and creative specials can do the "magic"
6. Remodeling your restaurant equal injecting fresh blood in your operations: Lots of competitors open their doors every day. Restaurants need to be aligned with ever changing trends to appeal to new customers. Planning a restaurant renovation is a difficult task but statistics show up to a 40 percent increase in sales after renovation
7. Should You Stay Open During Remodeling?: The average restaurant remodel takes four to six weeks to complete. In general restaurants that close entirely for renovation see a larger increase in sales after reopening than restaurants that decided to stay open
8. Learn more about target market before renovation: If your target market's demographics or spending patterns have changed since you opened, it is better to study more in depth what can help to be more appealing and align as more as possible to the new needs of your potential customers.
9. What are the areas that need to improve: It is important to study ways to provide more efficiency in operations and customer service. It is a great moment, right before and during renovation, to discover ways to serve customers faster and in a more functional and efficient way. Is the kitchen layout translating in efficiency? Are storage areas enough to cover needs? Are tables too close to each others? Solutions should be tailor made and should blend into the design plans
10. Execute your renovation project to launch a busier restaurant: If a simple or a major renovation is designed to keep regulars happy and at same time appeal to new customers, it means the starting point is well thought already.
Moreover if a renovation is connected to improvement in the menu and re-training of staff for a better service delivery, remodeling can improve your capability to stay competitive for more years to come